Our carers benefit from:
- an allocated supporting social worker who will visit them regularly, providing individual support and advice
- a dedicated out of hours phone line for carers, as well as an emergency number
- advice in relation to health and educational issues from professionals with expertise in the needs of Looked After children. This includes help from the Virtual School, which supports children in care.
- a clinical psychologist who provides support and guidance to our carers
- respite arrangements and a holiday activity programme through R2K
- a club and activities for Children of Foster Carers (CFC), to provide them with a safe and understanding environment to share their thoughts and feelings of being part of a family that fosters, as well as having lots of fun!
- an ID card to access discounted rates at a range of local shops and attractions, as well as all the benefits of a Discovery card
- sports access scheme with B&NES Better facilities for foster families
- library books and resources for carers
- a toy library of multicultural and diverse resources including lots of books, arts and crafts, audio visual resources, games and imaginative play items.
We also believe in rewarding our foster carers for the hard work they do year-round. We run a series of 'thank you' events spread across the year:
- Farm Funday- held in July; this event is a chance for foster carers, the children in their care and staff to get together and enjoy a fun filled day.
- Awards Ceremony- this takes place towards the end of the year and is a chance for us to praise our excellent foster carers.
- Christmas pantomime/theatre trip- every year it is arranged that all foster carers and the children in their care (both foster children and birth children) are invited to attend a pantomime or theatre performance free of charge.
"We feel very supported by our supporting social worker... She not only puts the health and welfare of the young people on the agenda - also our needs, circumstances and capacity." - B&NES foster carer
"Excellent training and resources, covers everything you’ll need. There is always support from social workers and the Psychologist” - B&NES foster carer
"There has always been someone at the end of the telephone waiting to listen and advise with issues I've had. The team seem to go above and beyond to make me feel equal and respected and most importantly hearing what I have to say as the 'carer' of those young people...This makes a huge difference to me when as a 'carer' my opinion is valued and appreciated as a 24 hour hands on advocate for these young people." - B&NES foster carer